Thursday, February 25, 2010

Back On Track

DSC06746iii
Okay folks, let me get back to regular programing here.... what the heck have I been doing with my sorry existence aside from torturing myself with secret cathartic love letters you ask?.... I've been running a lot for one thing.... living several blocks from Central Park is awesome.... it gives me the motivation to finally stick with the on-again, off-again relationship I've had for years, with my running shoes.... it's just so much more interesting to run in Central Park than it is to run on a treadmill.... so, let me share with you some of the scenes from my frequent runs since I came to New York....

Reservoir 018iReservoir 021iCentral Park 002iCentral Park 004i
As you can see from the map (well, if you click it that is, it's kinda small), there are plenty of paths dedicated to runners in Central Park....Central Park Running Map 01I have a thing for running around in circles, so I usually stick to running around the Jacqueline Kennedy Onasis Reservoir (the big blue blob in the middle).... BTW, I hear that she's very beautiful, but that she rarely comes out of the water....
Reservoir 008iReservoir 039Reservoir 041Central Park 005i
the map says that it covers a distance of 1.58 miles.... I try to do at least 3 laps when I'm out there, so that's about 5 miles... okay fine, 4.74 miles.... but that doesn't include the mile I walk to get to the reservoir and the mile I walk back home from the reservoir.... hey, it's a start.... unfortunately, my flat feet really do a number on my medial collaterals.... man it sucks to get old.... anyways, the Reservoir path takes you past the Guggenheim and the Metropolitan Museum of Art, among other sights and sounds....
Reservoir 037Reservoir 035
I actually run for several reasons.... I've been trying to get rid of that pesky lower abdominal fat that started to accumulate after a certain age, which I decline to specify so I don't date myself.... but more importantly I'm trying to improve my insulin resistance.... I have a strong family history of DM type 2 so I'm trying to implement some lifestyle modifications to stave off the inevitable.... maybe it won't have to be inevitable?.... and of course there are the cardiovascular health benefits as well.... also, I was inspired by the runners in the New York City Marathon back in early November....New York City Marathon 2009 029 if a little 80-something year old blind lady can run it, then I can get off my lazy ass and condition myself to run it too.... you have to qualify to run in the NYC Marathon though, so I better get my ass in gear.... either that or take my chances with the lottery....

well, it's been raining and now snowing here in NYC, so it looks like the treadmill for me tonight.... I wish y'all plenty of healthy lifestyle modifications from the Reservoir in Central Park....Reservoir 031i

TECHNORATI TAGS: ,

3 comments:

ghee said...

yesss!!you're back in the track!!

the very famous central park!!!
i thought it was more crowded..but sure,its really a pleasure to run or walk into it...

how i wish Cocoa and me can walk and run in a wonderful place like this everyday! yes,thru the help of Cocoa,finally,i can run again...well,not a very long distant one,but little by little,i know and id like to run at least 5 km everyday(my maximum aim,haha!),aside from the walking procedure!it really feels good...i feel like im in my twenties while running! :D yes,its a healthy purpose...it helps me psychologically,too!

i sooo love all the pics here..,theyre awesome!! and the last one is veryyyy romantic!thanks for sharing Pom!!

ghee said...

oh,ive noticed one thing...does the first pic has a runner in it in the middle??

Angelo said...

Ghee: Ghee!! You're first again :)

Thank you for your comment, you inspired me with the perfect title that I couldn't come up with last night. I guess I was too tired to think, the old title just didn't sit right with me. Thanks.

That's great that Cocoa gets you out running. Exercise is always good, but you're right, take it easy and don't overdo it too quickly.

Oh and yes there is a runner in the middle of the first pic.... I tried to focus the picture on the runner...
Cheers Ghee, apir to Cocoa!