Monday, December 01, 2008

Deep Thoughts from the New York City Subway

I found myself on the M15 heading N on 1st Ave.... last time I was on this bus I was with soulmate.... I found myself alone this time.... I glanced up to look for some "Poetry in Motion".... instead I found this "Train of Thought".....

"I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."
- Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)
from Memoirs of the Life, Writings, and Discoveries of Sir Isaac Newton (1855)

the last time I glanced up on this bus, soulmate had "taken wings".... I still find myself looking for smoother pebbles and prettier shells.... but thanks to her I got me some feathers.... hopefully I can fashion them into wings and follow her to the other side of the great ocean of truth.... or at least to the other side of the East River....

I realized, getting on the 1 line at 96th street on Broadway that there were no "Poetry in Motion"s posted right now, just a bunch of "Train of Thought"s.....
"America was discovered accidentally by a great seaman who was looking for something else; when discovered it was not wanted; and most of the exploration for the next fifty years was done in the hope of getting through or around it. America was named after a man who discovered no part of the New World. History is like that, very chancy."
- Samuel Eliot Morison (1887-1976)
from The Oxford History of the American People (1965)

Hey, America, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, America!.... armpit fart sound....

Okay, this deep thought comes to us from Robert F. Kennedy....New York 007i
CELEBRATE THE DEDICATION OF THE ROBERT F. KENNEDY BRIDGE
"Each time a man stands up for an IDEAL, or acts to improve the lot of others, or STRIKES OUT against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of HOPE, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can SWEEP DOWN the mightiest walls of oppression...."
- Robert F. Kennedy (1925-1968)

posted on occasion of the dedication of the Triborough Bridge in honour of RFK.... I'm happy to be alive to see this new era of Kennedy-esque HOPE and IDEALism with the election of President elect Obama.... but why did it have to cost me $4+ to cross that bridge coming from LaGuardia.... and I remember when I drove to New York last year, paying $10 to cross the George Washington Bridge and another $6 to cross the Queensboro bridge.... all in one trip....what the heck!... and it's not like you have a choice because Manhattan IS a freakin island.... oh well, just another argument for why you should use public transportation.... despite this, bridges sure are purdy to look at, especially at night.... here's the Triborough Bridge, now RFK bridge at night....I'm hoping that this will be my view next year.... fingers crossed, knock on wood....

TECHNORATI TAGS: , , , ,

5 comments:

Dennis Villegas said...

These are very inspiring thoughts from great people. I especially love the quote from RFK, it's so inspiring!
Nice pictures and thoughts ,Angelo!

Anonymous said...

Dennis Villegas: Thanks Dennis, we need more JFK's, RFK's, and Obamas.

Anonymous said...

I guess you always bring your camera with you (I do it, too) because you'll never know when it'll come handy. :)

Those are very inspiring indeed! I wish you luck in your career, and may the year 2009 bring us all luck and good fortune. Do I sound like a Chinese fortune teller now? lol.

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hopefully the next deep thought on a train will come from Obama.

A most unusual post, Angelo, but thought provoking.

BTW, that sure is a very pretty bridge.

Anonymous said...

MeL: Tru dat Mel, never leave home without it. Thanks for your good wishes, I wish the same for you in this coming new year. Gong Xi Fa Chai, Kung Hei Fat Choy :)

Puss-in-Boots: Thanks Robyn, ya, I'm sure Obama's gonna be full of inspiring quotes and thoughts. I hope his presidency will inspire people to do better.

New York is full of pretty bridges, I'm gonna have a blast taking pictures if I ever get the chance to live here.